Thursday, May 20, 2010

Learning how a Chlor-Alkali plant works

One of the best things I was tought in college was how to teach myself something.
Most research schools, teach you that!
So I started looking for books that could explain how this plant is supposed to operate. I can tell you it was not easy trying to find information on something as practical as a working production plant. Most books talk about theoretical stuff which thanks to our books in school, I already had knowledge of that.

I needed a book that could explain the industry and give me crash course on how someone would go by running such a plant. I finally found a 1600 page book that explains just that!

It's called " Handbook of Chlor-Alkali Technology".
It is a very useful book! I did a lot of reading, and trying to match the contents with the documentation we have at the plant to understand the system I am dealing with.
There is a lot of practical and useful information packed into 1600 pages but you get to choose what is more important to you.
After reading most of the book and reading the documentation, I learned a great deal. I can finally wrap my head around this enormous task.
I will post a simple diagram showing how everything works.
So far I have gotten a great amount of satisfaction, learning something new. I think that is one way I can feel my time is well spent, after being done with school. Experience and learning new things is the least you can do to keep up with this changing and advancing technological world we live in.
About three months, is what it took me to get done with the first task! But I think this was one task I figured would take the longest. Surprisingly, finding the right resources, shortened that quite a bit.
As one of my friends used to say " Knowing is half the battle" "The other half is remebering it on the exam". In this case I have to change the second part and say " The other half is implementing it!"

1 comment:

  1. Dear Aref,

    This book (Handbook of Chlor-Alkali Technology) is very expensive, I was wondering if you could kindly guide me in the right direction to download the free version of it.

    Best Regards,
    Saman Alavifard
    saman_alavi@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete